La structured data It is one that is organized through a rigid and previously defined structure, organized in semantic blocks and is often categorized as quantitative. Learn more below.
Basically, structuring data means understanding:
- The possibilities of data behavior.
- Surround them.
- Know where to place them.
- Understand what this data implies.
Table of Contents
Structured data characteristics
Structured data is a system that helps search engines to categorize and index your website content by adding additional tags to existing HTML codes. Microdata is a form of structured data that works well with HTML5. Other forms of structured data are RDFA and microformats, which have a different set of rules and limitations that you should be aware of.
To understand this concept it is necessary to have a little knowledge about SEO techniques. Within this topic, you must understand that Google has mechanisms to classify the results on your search page, the famous SERP - Search Engine Results Page.
SEO techniques help to better rank a page organically in Google results. Structured data is standardized information that Google searches to understand and position content in search based on the information.
All those who want to grow an Internet business must think about how the web universe works, for this, they must offer an almost incalculable amount of information to the user. The challenge of the entrepreneur is to stand out in this environment using the tools that are available to him. And these tools are almost all in search engines. These are the search sites that Google dominates.
SEO techniques are ways of understanding the function of the content of Google's algorithms. And, some steps must be done with structured data. This is a concept that helps index and rank on the Google search page.
On the Google developers page, the definition of structured data is as follows:
- "These are codes that can be added to the pages of a site to describe the content and help search engines understand what is on the pages."
- That is to say, everything that is put in the content of a page must be organized in a way that the Google “robots” understand and rank better in the SERPs.
An example is that Google it will look for information on a page that can explain the topic to the user, in this case, structured data. And, for that very reason, that text has a structure that helps Google find that information.
What is the difference between structured data and unstructured data?
You need to analyze the mechanisms of Google as a human logic. It looks for information that, following its standards, can help the user to understand the text in a simple way, finding exactly what they are looking for.
- Therefore, structured data is that well-organized information which helps both text comprehension and Google, including the creation of Rich snippets, which is the highlight of a web page.
- Furthermore, unstructured data is information that Google can't understand immediately, as images, audios, videos or word texts. It cannot interpret them if it does not exist, in the case of texts, in HTML code. Despite understanding data that does not follow pattern structures, you need to be careful when identifying it so that you do not categorize as data something that does not actually have this representation. To think of examples it is necessary to bear in mind that when it comes to computers in general, everything represents data. Each file corresponds to information, whether it is relevant or not another topic, although in reality it is data.
Why use structured data on your website, e-commerce or blog?
As you may have noticed, structured data helps Google understand your text and rank it better in the SERP. That should be enough, as SERP is the great showcase for those who want to make money online, especially organically.
But there are other factors that help:
- Each filtering bag Rich Snippts They win in quality and the user will know exactly what the content is about, knowing what they will find in it. Not to mention, Google will understand text information better.
- Users who search by mobile will have a better experience, not only finding information more easily, but also having a better speed to open your website.
- Organic traffic to your website improves considerably.
- Structured data increases the chances that your site appear in knowledge panel- The area in the right corner of Google that has the most important information about the search.
Why should you implement structured data?
To use this concept very strategically in your content, you must always respect the cohesion of ideas in the text. But since we are talking about Google engines, which are not human, it is also important to know the general guidelines of structured data. There is an important help in structuring this data. Therefore, it is a joint work of creatives and developers. Know these "details" of a fundamental digital strategy for your company to be seen on the Internet.
Mainly, these features that Google has to help with search results. But it is useless to know the structured data and forget other points that can increase the growth possibilities of your company.
In the case of structured data, the first concern is to understand that the data to be analyzed, because it is structured, has limitations, thus implying less subjectivity. Based on this understanding, it will be possible to direct and create some lines of reasoning and possible paths within the data presented.
As we told you, structured data has clear limitations conceived in its creation, they exist with the purpose of having predetermined patterns and limited universes of possibility which makes the interpretation less complex. However, this does not mean that all structured data don't have your level of complexity.